Initiatives and Projects Chair – Bobbi Steelman
Thousands of inmates are released each year without access to, or knowledge of, the support networks to help them transition back into society. Inmates are sometimes released from jail with nothing but the clothes on their back. The Southern Kentucky Reentry Council has created some initiatives to help this population after they are released. Our council put together programs to help the inmates that have nothing after they are released.
One of the initiatives we currently have in place is our backpack program. Our backpacks include over 10 toiletries items such as razors, shaving cream, hygiene products, soap, shampoo, toothbrushes and toothpaste, all donated items.
The Southern Kentucky Reentry Council current initiatives:
- * Free Toiletries Backpack Program (over 10 items) for inmates exiting jail
- * Sponsor Pre-Release Classes at county jails
- * Sponsor Moral Recognition Therapy Classes/Books
- * Sponsor Parenting Classes/Books
- * Sponsor Anger Management Classes/Books
- * Purchase reading glasses for all South Central Kentucky regional jails
- * Sponsor Expungement Sessions in all South Central Kentucky counties
- * Sponsor the NEW Work Release Jobs Program In Warren County Jail
- * Purchase IDs & Birth Certificates for inmates prior to release date
- * ASK about our free EMT Training Scholarship Program through KCTCS – Kentucky Community and Technical College System. (Applications for January classes) – More to come.
- * Voucher for Clothes (Coming Soon)
- * Transportation Passes (Coming Soon)