Initiatives and Projects Chair – Sarah Perrine
Thousands of inmates are released each year without access to, or knowledge of, the support networks to help them transition back into society. Inmates are sometimes released from jail with nothing but the clothes on their back. The Southern Kentucky Reentry Council has created some initiatives to help this population after they are released. Our council put together programs to help the inmates that have nothing after they are released.
One of the initiatives we currently have in place is our backpack program. Our backpacks include over 10 toiletries items such as razors, shaving cream, hygiene products, soap, shampoo, toothbrushes and toothpaste, all donated items.
The Southern Kentucky Reentry Council current initiatives:
- Toiletries Backpack for inmates exiting jail
- Pre-Release Classes at county jails
- Moral Recognition Therapy
- MRT Parenting Classes
- MRT Anger Management Classes
- Purchase reading glasses for all South Central Kentucky regional jails
- Sponsor Expungement Sessions in all South Central Kentucky counties
- Sponsor the NEW Work Release Jobs Program
- IDs & Birth Certificates for inmates prior to release date
- ASK about our EMT Training Scholarship Program through KCTCS – Kentucky Community and Technical College System .
- Voucher for Clothes (Coming Soon)
- Transportation Passes (Coming Soon)
WNKY News – Council is planning new ways to help reduce recidivism
Click the link to watch us in action – https://www.wnky.com/council-is-planning-new-ways-to-help-reduce-recidivism/
The Pain We Cause: By Morgan Hornsby and Gabriel Scarlett
Click the link to view an emotional story on Amy McKeown who is a Kentucky inmate who has struggled with addiction her whole life. Now, she prepares to leave jail and rejoin her mother and son on the outside. – https://vimeo.com/307526005